Boil Water Alert: Water Main Break has Complications

All+of+the+water+fountains+in+the+school+have+signs+on+them+warning+students+not+to+drink+any+of+the+water+due+to+possible+contamination.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

All of the water fountains in the school have signs on them warning students not to drink any of the water due to possible contamination.

Susie Webb

Susie Webb

Susie Webb

Susie Webb, Assistant Editor

The students and staff of Stafford County got a phone call at 1:00 a.m. telling them that they can’t drink any of the tap water due to complications from a water main break.

Anyone east of Interstate 95 is under a boil water alert. The alert advises residents to drink from bottled water or to boil their water before consumption.

The water should be safe in about two or three days, but until then people are advised to be cautious.

The building manager, Christopher Caldwell, put signs on all of the water fountains that say, “Boil Water Alert Do Not Drink.”

The cafeteria is also aware of the water main break and is boiling all water used in school lunches.

At 8:15 a.m. water was delivered to Stafford High School. Any student who needs water throughout the day can ask to go get some from the conference rooms.

In a statement, Principal Joseph Lewis explains his faith in how the situation is being managed.

Basically it comes with the territory,” Lewis said. “You manage whatever thing pops up, and you do it with the best of your ability. We have a really nice staff, and we have good kids here, so we are going to weather this just fine.”

UPDATE: As of 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 5, the boil water alert has been lifted. Following a boiled water alert, water should be run through the pipes for fifteen minutes. After that, it is safe to drink again.