School starting later?

Gen Hirata, Page Editor

As the school year proceeds, teens repeatedly drag themselves out of bed before the sun rises. At the same time, children are bouncing around the house waiting to be taken to school.

Even though studies have shown that high school students should have eight hours of sleep each night and wake up to their natural sleep cycle, Stafford County continues to send groggy teens into school at 7 a.m.

Other Virginia school districts such as Henrico County in Richmond, VA, have changed the time that high school students start class. Instead of a 7:40 a.m. start time, high schools in Richmond begin class at 9:40 a.m., the normal call time for an elementary school student.

Some would argue that a later start time would cause high school students to get out of school too late, leaving little to no time for extracurricular activities.

Even though the later start time means a later release from school, students still have plenty of time to complete their school work in the afternoon after school or in the morning before school starts.

The later start time for high schoolers would benefit working parents as well. Since elementary kids would be going into school earlier, parents could drop their kids of and head to work at an earlier time.

Most high school students can get on the bus themselves or drive to school at a later time to convenience elementary school parents who need to head into work early.

Although the time change would take some getting used to, it would overall be beneficial to both high school and elementary school students.

High school students would be able to sleep longer allowing their brains to fully develop, and their bodies can to adjust to their natural sleep cycle. Elementary school students would be able to get straight to school when they wake up in the morning.