SkillsUSA aims for Nationals

SKILLSUSA+AIMS+HIGH+%3A+At+a+recent+workshop%2C+SkillsUSA+officers+pose+in+front+of+the+headquarter+sign.+Stafford%E2%80%99s+chapter+competes+in+multiple+contests+in+District+and+Regional+levels+before+moving+on+to+state+and+national+level.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

SkillsUSA aims for Nationals

SKILLSUSA AIMS HIGH : At a recent workshop, SkillsUSA officers pose in front of the headquarter sign. Stafford’s chapter competes in multiple contests in District and Regional levels before moving on to state and national level.

Robert Jett

Robert Jett

Robert Jett

Lauren Sisson, Staff Reporter

The SkillsUSA drafting team will continue to meet through January and February in preparation for the upcoming district competition on March 9 and 10.

Although many think of SkillsUSA as just a club for drafting kids, a background in drafting is not necessary, and the club pertains to much more than just drafting skills, including leader.

“SkillsUSA is a club based around professionalism and promoting career and technical education in high schools across the country,” senior Andrew Schalk said, a member since his freshman year.

Schalk and his partner, senior Braeden Clayburg, brushed past both the district and state competitions last year and even placed an impressive second place at the national SkillsUSA competition last year.

Many have goals and aspirations for the upcoming year.

“My goal for this year is to once again place at the national SkillsUSA competition,” Clayburg said. “Hopefully, I’ll be able to place first for my senior year.”

The advisor for SkillsUSA is Robert Jett, the drafting teacher.

“Mr. Jett has aided me in expanding my vocational skills by helping me learn a new CAD (computer aided drafting) software,” senior Jennifer Sprow said, a national competition winner in the architectural drafting competition.

The nationals competition will take place from June 25-30.